Under Section 5(5) of the Sacred Sites Act there are a number of Authority functions that are specifically excluded from Ministerial direction as outlined below. They reflect the intention to provide an arms-length and independent role for the Authority, particularly with regard to sacred sites matters. In brief, the Authority cannot be directed on:
- Processing and issuing of Authority Certificates.
- Registration of sacred sites.
- Role of the Authority in a review process.
- Prosecutions under the Act.
- Permission to enter a sacred site.
- Appointment of staff, with the exception of the Chief Executive Officer.